[CT Birds] Eastford marsh, Rt US 44; Osprey, Herons and more.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 21:59:00 EDT 2015

I've been told that the Mergs are Hoodies.

Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com

In a message dated 6/25/2015 9:07:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Mntncougar at aol.com writes:

I took a detour to the Marsh on US Rt 44 in Eastford to check  on the
Osprey nest. The female was sitting on it, seemingly content, and after  watching
for a while I saw that there are 2 chicks in the nest, roughly half  grown,
but one is much bigger than the other. During the hour I was there I  saw
no sign of the male, but the female did not seem impatient.
Additionally, there is a female Common Merganser with one  duckling, which
was sitting on her mother's back when I got there. I know they  sometimes
breed in Ct, but this is the first time I've seen it.
Also, female Wood Duck with 5 ducklings and a male off by  himself. And a
Female Mallard with 3 large ducklings that I could find.
There are 5 Great Blue Heron nests occupied at the back of  the marsh.
About 20 birds total present, including adults.
All these birds were several hundred yards from the roadside,  and I simply
do not have the camera or lens to take pictures at that distance,  but, I
did manage a few record shots.

Eastford, marsh on US Rt 44, Windham, Connecticut, US
Jun 24, 2015  2:30 PM - 3:30 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:      Checking Osprey  nest and GBHE colony
9 species

Wood Duck   7     M,F. 5 ducklings
Mallard  4     1  F, 3 ducklings
Common Merganser  2     1 F, 1 duckling,  sometimes riding on mother's back
Great Blue Heron  20   5 occupied nests, avg 2 juv per nest
Osprey  3   1 F, 2 half-grown chicks, 1 much bigger than the other. No sign
 of M in hr I was there.
American Kestrel  1     Over Rt  44 near marsh
Eastern Kingbird  2
Tree Swallow   10
Red-winged Blackbird  6

View this checklist online at