[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, 6-25-15; FOY Chimney Swift, birds harder to find now.

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 22:42:40 EDT 2015

Many birds have gone quiet right now and others inconsistent.  Count varies
day to day. Yesterday, only 46 species, today 50, after 58 a few  days ago.
But some birds that had gone quiet are beginning to sing more  or again.
Heard another Black-billed Cuckoo today, sounded like one I had  a week or
so ago.
FOY Chimney Swift. Very unusual in the Yale forest (not very  many chimneys
I guess). I get one or two a year and sometimes  none.
I also had 2 Yellow-rumps today and was finally able to get a  good look at
one. Actually, I've been hearing them intermittently and thought  that's
what they were, but wasn't sure till now. Not quite same song as in  spring. I
had one last year that I didn't hear until around July 22. Several  years
past I had quite a few that spent the summer and presumably bred in the  Yale
Forest.
Found a family of House Wrens that were flying branch to branch  in a pine
grove and making a racket. Fledglings almost tailless, probably left  the
nest this morning. I heard the male by himself, singing loudly. Sounded  like,
"Free at last, free at last!"

Jun 25, 2015 7:50 AM  - 12:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
50 species

Canada  Goose  7
Turkey Vulture  1
Mourning Dove  4
Black-billed  Cuckoo  1     Calling at the BH trail crossing
Chimney  Swift  1     FOY. An unusual sighting in the area. Typically  I
get only 1 or 2 a year and sometimes none.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker   5
Downy Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3
Least  Flycatcher  1
Eastern Phoebe  8
Great Crested Flycatcher   1
Blue-headed Vireo  6
Warbling Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo   20
Blue Jay  6
Tree Swallow  4
Black-capped Chickadee   8
Tufted Titmouse  3
Brown Creeper  3
House Wren   7     Adult male singing and 4 or 5 newly fledged juvies along
 with 1 or 2 parents. Juv. tails were just stubs. Working noisily through a
pine  grove.
Winter Wren  1
Veery  10
Hermit Thrush   3
American Robin  8
Gray Catbird  10
Cedar Waxwing   15
Ovenbird  15
Louisiana Waterthrush  2
Northern  Waterthrush  2
Black-and-white Warbler  6
Common  Yellowthroat  10
Magnolia Warbler  2
Blackburnian Warbler   2
Yellow Warbler  10
Chestnut-sided Warbler  8
Black-throated  Blue Warbler  4
Pine Warbler  3
Yellow-rumped Warbler  (Myrtle)  2     First in months that I have seen but
I have  heard them before. probably breeders. Possibly an additional juv.
bird.
Black-throated Green Warbler  8
Canada Warbler   4
Eastern Towhee  10