[CT Birds] Last bit about Hammo

Mark Szantyr birdinggeek at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 21:12:33 EDT 2015

A quote from a friend...

"...the CTBirds list is remarkably silent on these kinds of matters. Thing is, Hammo is visited by lots of birders. Why the silence? The apathy is scary.
I guess we have been around for a while (That's  scary too). People don't see it. The park has undergone constant development over the last ten years. Permanent development including log cabins that take up open space, a middle bath house with a three story roof line, constant mowing and brush clearing, a bizarre sign trail, tree cutting at an active owl nest, filling of multiple shorebird rain pools, added millings to "improve" the middle beach parking, added trails and boardwalks thru dune habitat, and now a new nature center building project that makes a new footprint leaving the existing nature center building in place. Who knows what the west end will end up like. Add to this the park has allowed special interest take-overs of large parts of the park including huge lacrosse tournaments, kite festivals, cross country events, and more. Might as well put up a UCONN-south stadium.
Other states have environmental protection standards at their state parks."

Mark Szantyr