[CT Birds] Last bit about Hammo

Sally Brown sbrown01 at snet.net
Mon Jun 29 09:39:59 EDT 2015

Mark,

Over the years, there have been many individuals who made a ruckus over each incident.  I, for one, screamed to the heavens about the millings at the nature center parking lot.  I wrote my representative and he asked for photos.  I sent him photos.  Then the Audubon liaison with the state and the DEP and state parks asked for my photos and details.  With so many others voicing their outrage over the dumping of the millings in the nature center parking lot, there is now a “partnership” between Audubon and the state before anything is done.  And I know those individuals who created the uproar about the tree cutting near the owl nest.   I, among others, also reported the millings in the middle beach parking lot.

We were prepared for the west beach construction. That had to be done after Sandy.  I agree about the Middle Beach monstrosity.  The tree cutting on the entrance to the Middle Beach pavilion also got a lot of complaints from us local birders.  I think all the middle beach work was planned before Audubon became more involved as a lobbying organization.

We’re not silent on these issues!

However, it seems that the new nature center project has developed without much opportunity for public comment.  The fact that it is encroaching on new space is deplorable.   And our protests now are too late though I’m sure it won’t stop us.

And to address Bev’s comment, despair over our powerlessness to protect Hammo has been growing ever since our complaints many years ago about protecting the nesting killdeers in the nature center parking lot.  Yet we have a stronger voice now with the presence of Audubon through Sandy Breslin and Patrick Comins.  I will continue to work with these people and this organization.  They ARE making progress in these difficult times.

Sally Brown
Branford, CT