[CT Birds] Yale Forest, Ashford; Acadian Flycatcher

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Jun 30 14:18:31 EDT 2015

This morning I found an Acadian Flycatcher singing on North  Ashford Pike
(also known as Center Pike), which is the northern continuation of  Boston
Hollow Road. The bird was 3/8 to 1/2 mile past the wooden bridge at the  north
end of Boston Hollow Road. The road winds it's way uphill and reaches  a
point where it turns sharply left, uphill, going north, at the end of a steel
guard rail. The bird was on the right.
There have been Acadian Flycatchers nesting near the wooden  bridge for the
last three years, but this year I heard one there only once. Of  course I
don't know if this bird will stay at the location where I found it, but  at
this time of year it is likely to have a nest if it found a mate. It was in a
 thick hemlock grove, which is typical habitat for the species.
Note: I included these details because people have asked where  they could
find one in the area.

Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com