[CT Birds] Hammo

sffaulkner at comcast.net sffaulkner at comcast.net
Thu Jul 2 18:20:56 EDT 2015

I’m sorry to hear Carolyn’s comments about the revenue coming from people who are not birders.  I think that the vast majority of the people who go to Hammo enjoy the full experience, which includes the wetlands, birds, and open lands as well as the beaches.  Even if you’re swimming or sunning you see the gulls and other birds over and on the water, and the experience would be incomplete without them.  I am constantly asked by strangers about my binoculars and spotting scope when I go, and I often offer families to look thru the scope and see what I see -- it opens their eyes to the beauty of the ecology of Hammo.  To divide users into birders/non-birders is short-sighted.

I think the depth of the comments on this thread indicate that we need, collectively and more loudly, to work with the State to change the way they are managing the resource.

So, CT Audubon & COA, how does one get involved?  I think a meeting with the Commissioner is in order.

Sarah Faulkner

Sent from Windows Mail