[CT Birds] Offshore islands breeding bird report

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Fri Jul 3 15:13:57 EDT 2015

7/3/15:  Westbrook/Clinton:  We paddled around Duck and Metunketesuck
Islands at the mouth of the M. River today and made some interesting
observations.  The overall number of wading birds nesting on Duck Island
appears to be down from years past (many of the trees were knocked down by
Sandy) but we did see several Little Blue Heron, Glossy Ibis, Black-crowned
Night-heron, and Snowy and Great Egrets.  There were two young Glossy Ibis
with short, decurved bills flying around the treetops that were fun to see.
Most notable, though, were the remarkable number of Great Black-backed Gulls
there, both adults and recently fledged juveniles.  The island has become an
important breeding site for this species.  Menunketesuck Island was notable
for the number of juvenile Oystercatchers seen.  This appears to be a good
year for this species breeding along our coast.  Yeah!  The Tern colony was
active, with lots of Least Terns flying around, and a few very young
juveniles seen on the sand.  Full reports on ebird.

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,

Woodbridge