[CT Birds] 7/8 - a few migrant shorebirds

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 16:53:38 EDT 2015

Migrant shorebirds continue to trickle through the Connecticut coast.
Typical early season migrants (Least Sandpiper, Short-billed
Dowitcher, Lesser Yellowlegs) were dominant today. Also of note, Bank
Swallows were widespread. Here are the migrants and/or scarcer

Old Lyme, Griswold Pt (most birds here were heading down the coast to the west):
Semipalmated Plover
Greater Yellowlegs
6 Lesser Yellowlegs
9 Least Sandpiper
6 peep sp.
14 Short-billed Dowitcher
many swallows including ~25 Bank Swallows

Old Saybrook, South Cove:
4 Little Blue Herons (3 ad, 1 imm)

Madison, Hammonasset Beach SP:
2 Little Blue Herons (ad, imm)

Guilford, Shell Beach marsh:
5 Greater Yellowlegs
3 Least Sandpiper
1 Semipalmated Sandpiper
4 Short-billed Dowitcher

Possibly of interest to some, I am recently back from birding
Washington state in late June. Both the birding and scenery were
amazing. I highly recommend putting WA on your list if you haven't
been out there before. A full trip report with photos can be found on
my blog in a handful of separate posts; link to the first post here:

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT