[CT Birds] Rufous Hummingbird, Canton

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed Jul 15 09:13:45 EDT 2015

Passing along the report below.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

My husband and I have a hummingbird feeder in our backyard and fill it with a recommended water and sugar mixture. This has been more successful than a commercial mix used in the past couple of years.

We are delighted to see a new species and have recognized as a RUFOUS. I went to another site that listed what hummingbirds are in our state of Connecticut and was surprised to learn that seeing a rufous is RARE. We discounted it being a ruby-throatred.

It has returned a few times and we just wanted to share that as one map we saw indicated that none were seen.

We live in Canton, CT.

Mrs. Shannon