[CT Birds] Rufous Hummingbird, Canton

James Dugan jim at duganworks.com
Wed Jul 15 12:04:00 EDT 2015

My friends,
Please don't use hummingbird nectars with red dyes in them.
Red dye in these commercial mixes has been found to be detrimental to hummers.
A homemade mix of sugar and water is a better solution and less expensive.

A good simple recipe without dyes can be found through the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center at;
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migratorybirds/webcam/hummingbird_nectar_recipe.cfm

For info on why not to use these dyed products, please see:
http://www.hummingbirds.net/dye.html
or
http://wildbirdsunlimited.typepad.com/the_zen_birdfeeder/2010/07/top-5-reasons-to-not-use-red-hummingbird-nectar.html
or
http://fieldguidetohummingbirds.com/hummingbirds/feeding-hummingbirds-dangers-red-dye/
or numerous other online publications.

If these links don't show up in the post for some reason, you will find plenty of info with a little web surfing.

Peace,
Jim Dugan
New Milford