[CT Birds] window strikes

Amy Hopkins hopkinsus at cs.com
Mon Jul 13 20:06:08 EDT 2015

The feathers on strings are good.  They're called Feather Guard and I used them for years with fairly good success, though be prepared to cover all windows that heavily reflect.  The feathers only last about a year or so before becoming really tattered, so be prepared to replace them.  Like the decals, you need to cover a lot of area with them.  They're probably more effective when it's windy so the feathers flop around.

You can get them here:  http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=222

I finally bit the bullet last year and covered all my windows with CollidEscape:

That has eliminated all window strikes and has the added bonus of giving me really good privacy from the outside (probably also a good burglar deterrent).  It doesn't affect the light coming into the house.  The only downside is that I can't photograph birds through the windows anymore because it's like a screen on my photos.  On the other hand, I can go right up to windows and get very close to my window and deck feeder birds without them seeing me, which is delightful!  It's a little pricey, but I paid someone to do all the installation.  If you do it yourself, it's really quite inexpensive.  If anyone wants more information about it it from a user's standpoint, you can email me privately.

Amy Hopkins
Guilford, CT