[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, SUNDAY 7-12-14 belated post FOY Swamp Sparrow

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Jul 14 19:58:13 EDT 2015

The birds are being very quiet now, but with patience, at least  one of a
species can usually be heard. Also, now that nesting is essentially  over for
most they seem to be less shy and are easier to find. As always, check  the
Chickadee flocks.
I've been hearing a Swamp Sparrow for a couple of weeks now but  only just
got a look at him now to be sure.
After almost complete absence for about a month the Ravens are  now making
occasionally forays back to the Hollow, and letting everyone know  when they
do. I am seeing and hearing lots of Scarlet Tanagers, but mostly what  I'm
hearing is "tic bur", not their song. Sometimes they go on and on with it.
The juvie CGs are now looking like miniatures of their parents. They are at
the  pond next to 39 Barlow Mill Rd.
Jul 12, 2015 8:45 AM  - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
10.0 mile(s)
57 species

Canada  Goose  7
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture   3
Broad-winged Hawk  3
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove   6
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker   3
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Pileated  Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3
Least Flycatcher   1
Eastern Phoebe  8
Eastern Kingbird  1
Blue-headed  Vireo  2
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  12
Blue  Jay  15
Common Raven  1
Black-capped Chickadee   25
Tufted Titmouse  4
Red-breasted Nuthatch  2
White-breasted  Nuthatch  1
Brown Creeper  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher   1
Veery  20
Hermit Thrush  3
American Robin  8
Gray  Catbird  15
Cedar Waxwing  15
Ovenbird  10
Louisiana  Waterthrush  1
Blue-winged Warbler  1
Black-and-white  Warbler  5
Common Yellowthroat  8
Magnolia Warbler   3
Blackburnian Warbler  2
Yellow Warbler  2
Chestnut-sided  Warbler  3
Black-throated Blue Warbler  2
Pine Warbler   3
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  2
Black-throated Green  Warbler  10
Canada Warbler 2
Eastern Towhee  8
Chipping Sparrow   15
Song Sparrow  3
Swamp Sparrow  1     FOY, I've  been hearing him for a couple of weeks;
finally got a look to verify
Scarlet  Tanager  5
Northern Cardinal  6
Indigo Bunting   1