[CT Birds] Stratford Shorebirds

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Jul 15 14:47:43 EDT 2015

Shorebird season seems to be heating up with ~200 Semipalmated Sandpipers roosting on the beach at Stratford Point at high tide, along with a handful of Semipalmated Plovers and Least Sandpipers.   Also, quite a few Bank Swallows on the wires at various times of the day, along with an occasional Purple Martin.  Scott had a Cliff Swallow the other day on the wires.   Orchard Orioles are still singing from near the entry gate.

The Point is generally open during business hours during the week.   You can email me if you have a time you plan to visit to check to see if it might be open as we have to keep the gates closed when we are not on-site at least for now.   Tomorrow there will be a planting party starting at 10 AM with the Bridgeport WildLife Guards who are putting in some plants we got from the Menunkatuck Audubon Society that should improve the habitat for both birds and butterflies.   It is the start of my vision for a "stadium effect" going from trees to shrubs to wildflowers along the entry road.

Some of you helped to install the feed plot and some hummingbird/butterfly gardens a few weeks ago and I'm happy to report that those are coming along nicely.  A lot of the millet is suddenly popping and going to seed.  We may need to do a second round of millet planting to ensure a good crop for late September into October.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road