[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Activities during August

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Sun Jul 19 09:49:22 EDT 2015

Please note the following schedule of August NHBC activities.

Combined COA/NHBC/CT Botanical Soc. Bird/Plant Workshop.  Naugatuck State Forest, Naugatuck, Saturday, August 1, 2015, 8:00 am.  Free and open to the public.  Spend a morning with plant enthusiasts and learn about the plants that birds depend on while we birders educate the botanists about the birds that visit the plants that they know and love.  On this joint event of the CT Botanical Society, NHBC and the CT Ornithological Association, we’ll visit the West Block of Naugatuck State Forest, an Audubon-recognized Important Bird Area. It has good trails that go through a variety of habitats, including mixed hardwood forests, a hemlock ravine, swamps, streams, and ponds. The terrain is not difficult, but be prepared with insect repellent, sun protection and water. Bring lunch. Meet at  the parking lot at the end of  Hunters Mountain Rd.  Take Exit 26  off  Rt. 8  to  Rt. 63 North, heading west, then west (turn left) onto Scott St., then south (another left) onto Lewis St. to 1021 Hunters Mountain Rd.  Leaders: John Anderson/CBS, 860-248-1053 (cell). Chris Loscalzo/COA and Andy Brand. Contact information:  203 389-6508 or  closcalz at optonline.net

Beginner’s Bird Walk at Stratford Point, Stratford.  Friday, August 7, 2015, 6:00 pm.  (Note: This is an evening walk). Free and open to the public.  On our walk to this "Globally Important Bird Area," we will focus on shorebirds, such as the Semipalmated Sandpiper, that use the mouth of the Housatonic River to rest and refuel during migration. Participants will also learn about threats to shorebirds as well as strategies for protecting them. This walk is geared to beginners but birders of all levels and families are welcome. More advanced birders not only can enjoy an evening out but can also provide support and inspiration to the new-comers. Stratford Point is located at 1207 Prospect Drive in Stratford.  Go through the gate on the left side of the road and park near the largest building.  Leader: Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe: 203-630-9640 (home—preferred), 203-233-0535 (cell--only day of trip) or  cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org

COA Shorebird Workshop.  Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point, Milford.  Saturday, August 15, 2015, 9:00 am. Free and open to the public.  Sharpen your shorebird identification skills at one of the best places in the state to see shorebirds. We may have an indoor presentation before going out to the beach.  Meet at the Coastal Center parking lot.  Bring a scope if you have one.   Leaders: Patrick Comins, Frank Gallo, and Frank Mantlik. Contact:: Chris Loscalzo:  closcalz at optonline.net  or  203-389-6508.

Lighthouse Point Bird Walk and Prep for Migration Festival.  Saturday, August 22, 2015, 8:00 am walk and 9:30 clean-up.  Free and open to the public.  Join Park Ranger Dan Barvir on a late summer bird walk at Lighthouse Point Park on New Haven Harbor.  Then, beginning around 9:30 am, we’ll perform some light trail maintenance and cleanup.  This is a great way to enjoy looking at birds and help preserve their habitat at the same time. Meet at the Hawk Watch parking lot in the park.  Leader: Dan Barvir: 203-946-6086.  Lighthouse Point Park is part of the New Haven Parks Dept.

Larry Bausher

West Haven