[CT Birds] LHP R-b Nut, lotta Redwings

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 11:39:32 EDT 2015

I spent about 2 hours (7-9 a.m.) today at Lighthouse Point with Bill Banks. I've always found any chance to be there after a cold front from July onward proves worthwhile. We had 55 species. Of note were 2800 Red-winged Blackbirds, a Red-breasted Nuthatch and a recently fledged Brown Thrasher. The heavy July movement of Red-wings is well established, although from where to where less so. By the time hawk-watchers show up there in late August this movement is over, and Red-winged don't resume their very heavy fall movements until well into October.
The Red-breasted Nuthatch isn't a bird anyone's looking for on the coast in July, but first appearances in July are recorded at times, sometimes very early precursors of a good irruption.
A couple of other passage migrants noted were an E. Kingbird, about 60 Tree Swallows, 10 Yellow Warblers and 2 Indigo Buntings. I was surprised we didn't have any Bobolinks.
Greg HanisekWaterbury