[CT Birds] Dark Unknown Bird West Hartford yard

Brian Kleinman snaketat at cox.net
Fri Jul 24 14:08:00 EDT 2015

Very cool ­ I’ve seen albino ones before but never a melanistic one. From my
experience in breeding snakes I know that melanism is hereditary in reptiles
­ so probably in birds as well.  We might be seeing more black House
Sparrows in the future.  I found this interesting page from a study of
melanistic NA Birds that have been documented.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/4511208?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Brian