[CT Birds] Shell Beach/Leetes Island Marsh

Russ Smiley rsbirder at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 22:37:22 EDT 2015

Shell Beach/Leetes Island Marsh, Guilford, CT July 2015: I've been stopping
by the marsh between Rte 146 and Shell Beach Rd at the beginning and/or end
of the workday a lot this month. It has been interesting to see the nearly
vacant marsh become busy in the last week or so. Today I counted something
like 45 great and snowy egrets. Yesterday I saw a flock of a dozen ibis
arrive. Now that there are dozens of peeps, a cooper's hawk made a visit
this morning. I've been on the lookout for a tricolored heron like the one
that frequented this location and nearby Long Cove last summer: no luck
yet. There have been many greater and lesser yellowlegs and one solitary
sandpiper today.
Russ Smiley
Marlborough, CT