[CT Birds] In Hopeville Pond State Park, attentive birds and absent pests

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Fri Jul 24 22:49:27 EDT 2015

In Hopeville Pond State Park (Griswold) on Wednesday evening I spent an hour on either side of 201 finding many towhees, including a juvenile female, indigo buntings, yellowthroats, pine warblers, hairy and downy woodpeckers, plus flycatchers, phoebes and wood pewees caliing from within the park where I wasn't headed.  Finding birds across 201 in the bracken is a sign that the park is well populated with birds this season.

As for mosquitos, gnats, and horseflies/deerflies it is a completely opposite situation as the population density was deduced at 15% for mosquitoes and 3% for the flies as compared to where I am a half a mile northeast.  For whatever else the significance of this is, pests are not currently an issue with the park.

Brian Williams

Griswold