[CT Birds] Windham Airport & Mansfield Hollow Mud

Philip Rusch philiprusch at charter.net
Tue Jul 21 19:36:04 EDT 2015

At Windham Airport & Mansfield Hollow Reservoir in North Windham as viewed from the dam accessed from the commuter lot on Rt 6, I had the following:

On the airport:
4 Eastern Meadowlark
103 Killdeer
1 Pectoral Sandpiper
4 Spotted Sandpiper

On the newly exposed reservoir mudflats:
6 Semipal Sandpiper
4 Least Sandpiper
3 Solitary Sandpiper

Finally on Rt 198 just south of North Bear Hill Rd in Chaplin, I had a Ruffed Grouse fly in front of my car on my way to the airport. My first Grouse in town in at least 4 years. There has been some significant logging in nearby Natchaug Forest in the last several years. Maybe the grouse have taken advantage of the successional forest in the clear cut areas.  Here's hoping that is the case.

Phil Rusch
Chaplin, CT