[CT Birds] UConn bioblitz

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 23 11:25:54 EDT 2015

As you may or may not know, there is a BioBlitz happening on the UConn campus and surrounding area this weekend.  If you are unfamiliar with bioblitzes the goal is to see how many species (all organisms, not just birds) can be found within a prescribed area within a 24 hour period.  The event starts on Friday (tomorrow) at 3.  Anyone can participate in the inventory work, but there will also be various workshops, nature walks, and so on.  All of the details are on the event web site here: http://bioblitz2015.eeb.uconn.edu
If you happen to be birding in the area and see anything unusual, please let me know (off-line) as I am coordinating the bird survey.  If your an expert on some group of organisms other than birds, I'm sure the organizers would love to have your help - see web site for details.
More details about the event below:

WHEN: 3pm Friday July 24th through 5pm Saturday July 25th.

WHERE: UConn Storrs campus, headquartered at Torrey Life SciencesBuilding. See the map for in-bounds collecting area (http://bioblitz2015.eeb.uconn.edu/map)

KEYNOTE ADDRESS: DavidSkelly, Curator of the Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History, 3pm onFriday the 24th. Dr. Skelly will kick off the BioBlitz with a rousing talk getus all psyched up!

WORKSHOPS: We have scheduled a number of exciting workshops and naturewalks for the public, professional scientists, and educators alike.  Signup for them here: http://bioblitz2015.eeb.uconn.edu/volunteers/.
 Chris Elphick @ssts
Storrs, CT
elphick at sbcglobal.net Chris Elphick @ssts
Storrs, CT