[CT Birds] So Who catches flies on the wing?

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 25 19:21:29 EDT 2015

So do youbelieve that only Flycatchers catch flies on the wing? For the past 2weeks while doing chores in my yard and taking breaks sitting on thedeck,  I've been noticing all the birds and what and how they wereeating. Here is a list of my results.
Seen CatchingInsects on the wing: Phoebe, Crested Flycatcher, Kingbird,Goldfinch, Chipping Sparrow, Bluebird, Ruby t Hummingbird, Scarlet Tanager, Titmouse,House Finch, Catbird, and Cowbird.
I also noticedmany birds taking Insects while on the wing off of leaves. Usuallyfrom underneath. Seen were: S Tanager, Baltimore Oriel, Titmouse,Chickadee. Also taking Insects from under leaves but being perchedwere: White b Nuthatch, House Finch, Downey Woodpecker and Catbird.These were the only ones I saw in 2 weeks doing such, But Im suremany more use these techniques as well. Birds have evolved to beopportunistic creatures, and do whatever it takes to procure food. Oneother opportunist bird is the Goldfinch, who has evolved to wipe outmy Swiss chard by eating the leaves!
Paul Carrier - Harwinton