[CT Birds] Lots of Semis at Stratford Point

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Jul 30 12:06:27 EDT 2015

Today I had the biggest flock that I have seen so far of Semipalmated Sandpipers at Stratford Point on the north beach at high tide.  I would conservatively estimate 5,000 birds.  Very little variety though, as the only thing different I was able to pick out in my brief scan were a couple of Spotted Sandpipers.

The gates will be open until at least 6 PM today and again tomorrow.  I'm not sure what sort of coverage we will have over the weekend as I can't make it down here.  If someone would like to visit outside of working hours, please contact me off-list to see if something can be arranged.

Not surprisingly, Peregrine Falcon activity is also picking up and I've had one on each of the last two days.

The feed plots are coming along.  The sunflowers are a bit shorter than I had hoped, but millet is coming in like crazy and I spent much of last weekend sowing more plots in some of the bare patches and that is already starting to come up!  Lots of various foxtail grasses coming in as well.  Fingers crossed that late September into November will be busy here!

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut