[CT Birds] Lots of Semis at Stratford Point

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Jul 30 17:31:51 EDT 2015

We used mixed bird seed, black oil sunflower and then supplemented with a bunch of white proso millet that would be the same as purchased for feeding.  We have also put in a bunch of different varieties of fancy sunflowers, some Mexican sunflowers and some cosmos of various varieties. Optimally we would also like to incorporate some local manure into the mix to better encourage foxtail grasses.

Much of the millet is already going to seed, which I think is a bit too early, so I’ve recently purchased a bit more and I’m putting in new crops into the bare spots.  I find the best method is to rake up the ground, throw the seed down and then rake back over with the soil I raked up.   I also add in some very benign and natural fertilizer because the soil is very poor in the site we’re working in (fill).   Ironically, I think we started far too late with the sunflowers and so far they are all very short, but yet the Millet probably needs, early, middle and late crops.  We’ve got about 12,000 square feet to work with, but some of that area may be planted in perennials next year and hopefully I can do half of it as an annual seed plot and maybe find another 6,000 square feet somewhere else to work with.   (if we get enough rare birds where people are wiling to support the project next year in terms of volunteer time and funding, as this sort of thing will take an annual commitment).

Some photos of the area, before and during can be found here (towards the end of the album)…hopefully supplemented with photos of rare sparrows this fall!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153032478699480.1073741915.730539479&type=1&l=b7852f832c

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation