[CT Birds] COA Bird/Plant Workshop

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Thu Jul 30 08:45:35 EDT 2015

Hello, fellow birders:

The combined bird and plant workshop is this Saturday, August 1st, beginning
at 8 am.  We will be looking for birds and at plants at the Naugatuck State
Forest, in Naugatuck.  The full announcement, with directions to the
location, is below.  We will probably divide up into groups, with at least
one group going for a longer hike in the woods and another going for a
shorter hike near the road and parking area.  I hope to see you there!

Combined COA/NHBC/CT Botanical Society Bird/Plant Workshop

Saturday, August 1st, 2015 at 8:00 am

Location: Naugatuck State Forest, Naugatuck

Spend a morning with plant enthusiasts and learn about the plants upon which
birds depend while we birders educate them about the birds that visit the
plants that they know and love.  On this joint event of the CT Botanical
Society, Connecticut Ornithological Association and New Haven Bird Club,
we'll visit the West Block of Naugatuck State Forest, an Audubon-recognized
Important Bird Area. There are good trails that go through a variety of
habitats, including mixed hardwood forests, early-seral habitats, a hemlock
ravine, swamps, streams, and ponds. The terrain is not difficult, but be
prepared with insect repellent, sun protection and water. Bring lunch. Meet
at the parking lot at the end of Hunters Mountain Road.   Take exit 26 off
Route 8 to Route 63 North, heading west, then west (turn left) onto Scott
Street and then south (another left) onto Lewis Street to Hunters Mountain
Rd.  Leaders: John Anderson, CBS, C: 860-248-1053; Chris Loscalzo and Andy
Brand, COA/NHBC. Contact information: closcalz at optonline.net and 203

Chris Loscalzo,