[CT Birds] Lake Chamberlain birds

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sun Aug 2 11:20:12 EDT 2015

At Lake Chamberlain in Bethany, a morning hike around the reservoir led to
the observation of a number of interesting species.  We've been enjoying
shorebird migration for the past several weeks. This felt like the start of
fall land bird migration. We saw a total of nine warbler species, with at
least a few of them definite migrants.  The highlight was a Northern
Waterthrush, seen feeding in an open, muddy/grassy area at the north end of
the reservoir.  Also notable was a Screech Owl that called in response to my
own screech owl call, an unusual phenomenon in broad daylight.  Other
species of interest included Spotted Sandpiper, Winter Wren, Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher, and Worm-eating and Chestnut-sided Warbler.  42 species in all.
Full report on ebird.

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,