[CT Birds] weekend birding; so many birds, so little time

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Mon Aug 3 22:46:56 EDT 2015

On Sunday a late afternoon visit to Heron Pond (Griswold) revealed a healthy number of waterfowl and songbirds.  I was returning after an early evening outing on Friday yielded only a couple wood ducks and a juvenile great blue heron however the marsh holds acres of wetland flowers so this summer it is a more desirable get away.  On Sunday I wanted a look at species inland under better light and and less aggressive insects.  Better light revealed many native species I walked right past two days earlier.
In the marsh three green herons were mixing with over eight wood ducks.  Some red-winged blackbirds and eastern kingbirds were actively foraging in the marsh with swallows overhead that I couldn't distinguish from tree swallows.  Cedar waxwings, song and chipping sparrows, phoebes, and wood pewees  were attending the edges of the marsh.  Backyard birds along the trail inland included chickadees, titmice, cardinals, elusive catbirds, woodpeckers, ovenbirds, and thrushes.
Saturday evening I was above and beneath Hodge Pond on Myron Kinne Brook (Voluntown) and that area is possibly teeming with birds.  Several thrushes were seen and many towhees were about.  Once again it gets risky making an accurate count and the humidity approaches 90% so I concentrated instead on the wildflowers in their woods. With any luck it could turn into a full season for goldenrods and flowering aster.
wood ducks in Heron Pond  https://www.flickr.com/photos/96606904@N05/19652230553/in/dateposted-public/
green heron (juv) on watch at Heron Pond  https://www.flickr.com/photos/96606904@N05/19652230553/in/dateposted-public/
  Brian Williams