[CT Birds] Bird seed question plus downies

zellene zellene at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 7 09:35:44 EDT 2015

I am wondering how long bird seed stays fresh. I have some Niger seed, about half a 25 pound bag, that was left over from about 6 months ago. Stored in the house in the bag, though not tightly sealed. I have started putting out seed for the goldfinches and don't know whether this is still good.

Also, two downies have been monopolizing my hummer feeders. Each one sits on one of the feeders all day. I decide to outsmart them and purchase a third feeder that has no perches on it. They figured out how to stand on the new feeder anyway and now rotate all day among all three. These guys are worse than squirrels! The hummers come early and near dusk to get their chance.

Zellene