[CT Birds] Stratford Point Shorebirds

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Aug 4 15:30:07 EDT 2015

About 2,500 Semipalmated Sandpipers roosting at high tide here at Stratford Point today.  Good to see a bit of variety joining them, with a few Spotted Sandpipers (they have been here), a few Least Sandpipers, one Piping Plover, about 2 dozen Semipalmated Plovers, 15 Black-bellied Plovers and about a dozen Ruddy Turnstones.   3 American Oystercatchers were flying around at lower tide.

A reminder that we and the Coast Guard will be having an open house on Saturday from 9 AM - 3 PM with bird/butterfly walk/tours of the property at 9 am, 11 am and 1 pm.  Unfortunately, high tide is at 7 AM on Saturday.   If anyone wants to visit outside of that time, just check with me and I can let you know if someone will be here or otherwise make arrangements for birding access.

In other point news, the sunflowers are starting to bloom.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road