[CT Birds] Menunketesuck River, Marsh, and Island birds

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sun Aug 9 15:40:43 EDT 2015

Five intrepid birders kayaked down the river, through the marsh and around
the island this morning on the falling tide.  We saw a number of good birds,
including a mottled young adult LITTLE BLUE HERON along with three adults
and six juveniles.  We identified one ROSEATE TERN in flight among the ~300
Common Terns out on and around the island.  There were also a number of
LEAST TERNS and American Oystercatchers there, with several juveniles of
both species observed.  Other species of interest included: Broad-winged
Hawk, Laughing Gull, Black-bellied Plover, Ruddy Turnstone, Spotted
Sandpiper, Purple Martin, and Saltmarsh Sparrow.

Chris Loscalzo, Woodbridge, et al.