[CT Birds] Gas Pipeline hearing for potential impacts to West Hartford and Bloomfield

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Aug 11 12:01:49 EDT 2015

FYI, there is a meeting coming up Thursday evening in Farmington about a proposed pipeline expansion through MDC lands in West Hartford and Bloomfield.  I can't attend, but thought some of you might want to know more:
"Please support the first large municipal corporation in Connecticut to express concerns over pipeline expansion!

The Hartford Metropolitan District (MDC), a municipal corporation charged with providing drinking water for 400,000 people in the Hartford area, is concerned that the plans of Kinder Morgan/Tennessee Gas Pipeline Company to expand fracked gas pipeline in Hartford County could have negative impacts on drinking water in the watershed. The MDC asked for a public meeting with Kinder Morgan to make the public aware. Kinder Morgan agreed to the meeting, but didn't publicize it. If you live around Hartford and like to drink clean water, then you should attend this meeting on Thursday, August 13 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the Hartford Marriott Farmington, 15 Farm Springs Road in Farmington.

According to the CEO of MDC Scott Jellison, "the proposed pipeline could potentially impact MDC's public drinking water supplies in West Hartford and Bloomfield, Connecticut. The pipeline is proposed to be constructed on critical public water supply watershed land near drinking water reservoirs at our West Hartford and Reservoir 16 facilities."

Connecticut doesn't need more dirty methane. Eversource is scrambling to find enough customers for the increased gas that pipeline construction will bring, and their ads (paid by consumers) are incessant. We have adequate energy now, without new pipeline. We need to ramp up efficiencies for all buildings and move quickly to 100% renewable power. We can feel climate disruption happening, especially during the recent spring drought. More fossil fuels will continue to destroy the climate. There is a better way.

Support the Hartford MDC, impacted landowners and the climate by coming to the meeting on Thursday, August 13th from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the Hartford Marriott Farmington, 15 Farm Springs Road, Farmington CT 06032."

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut