[CT Birds] Mitigation Efforts at State Parks: How You Can Help

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 07:11:04 EDT 2015

Your COA Board has begun a dialogue with DEEP Officials regarding steps
that can be taken to mitigate effects of the construction at Hammonasset
and Silver Sands on birds and wildlife that frequent these locations.
During an informal meeting last Friday, COA Board Members met with Deputy
Commissioner for Environmental Conservation Susan Whalen and Director of
State Parks Tom Tyler, during which they agreed to implement some
mitigation efforts we suggested.  We reviewed the lists of bird friendly
native plantings which we were happy to see already are included on the
plans for both construction projects, and we believe they are well chosen
and appropriate.

Both Susan Whalen and Tom Tyler were very receptive to our suggestion of
planned feed plots of wildflowers and seed producing weedy plants for
songbirds (especially sparrows) similar to the one Patrick Comins has
installed at Stratford Point.  They also were excited about our idea of
attempting to create artificial shorebird puddles in locations away from
parking lots.  These puddles have caused some difficulty when they become
muddy and cars (including Tom Tyler's) have become stuck in them.

We welcome suggestions from birders who frequent Hammonasset and Silver
Sands as to appropriate locations for these mitigation efforts.  Obviously
such puddles and feed plots should be where the public can view the birds
and where the birds have congregated naturally in the past.  This link has
the updated plans for background information:
http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2716&q=565984&deepNav_GID=1650#NatureCenter

Other ongoing discussion items include a potential pilot program giving
birders early entry at specific State Parks and the attempt to find
suitable replacement trees for the diseased Japanese Black Pines at West
Beach.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut