[CT Birds] Gas Pipeline hearing for potential impacts to West Hart ford and Bloomfield

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed Aug 12 09:32:05 EDT 2015

I know nothing about any particular gas pipeline proposals, or what habitat they may be passing through, but there are a few things that can be said about natural gas in general.

New England has one of the most inadequate gas pipeline infrastructures in the nation. We need MORE natural gas. NG is a cleaner alternative than coal in a power plant, cleaner than oil to heat homes, and cleaner than diesel fuel in trucks. Because NG has become cheaper, electricity generation is slowly changing over from coal. Halleluiah! If I had NG available I could have a furnace that is so efficient (up to 97%!) it doesn't even need a chimney, unlike even the best oil furnace. NG use for trucking is just getting started, and it is a far cleaner alternative to diesel. For all of those uses NG puts out less carbon dioxide than what it replaces, and less smog.

Until we can get off fossil fuels altogether, the more of what we do burn that is NG the better.

Full disclosure: a small part of my retirement savings is invested Kinder Martin (gas pipelines), Clean Energy Fuels Corp (NG fuel stations for trucks), and Westport Innovations (truck engines running on NG).

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT