[CT Birds] Broad-winged Hawks taste for snake

Paul Cianfaglione pgcianfaglione at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 11:58:13 EDT 2015

 *For the past week, we have had an adult Broad-winged Hawk in our yard
feeding on snakes. With an abundance of voles, chipmunks and pickerel frogs
this summer, it seems odd that it would focus on this particular prey item.
I have personally observed the hawk feeding on three snakes, each time
sneaking up on it as I followed the alarm calls of American Robins. The
other two snakes (garter) have been found dead on my lawn with small,
randomly placed punctured holes on their bodies. Prior to the Broad-winged
Hawk’s arrival, I had only seen one snake in my yard this year!*

*Paul Cianfaglione*
*Canton*