[CT Birds] Mitigation Efforts at State Parks: How You Can Help

Sally Brown sbrown01 at snet.net
Wed Aug 12 14:46:27 EDT 2015

We can’t return to what it was but making changes now that will be favorable to birds and wildlife in the future is a good step forward.  Thank you all for your efforts in this direction.

I am a frequent birder at Hammonasset so I will limit my comments to that park.

What a great idea to place some new puddles and feed plots where cars can’t park.

Would the very western edge of the West Beach parking lot be a favorable location? Perhaps with low wooden fences to prevent ATVs or those so inclined to tear through the open area.  This area has attracted various rare migrating shorebirds over the years.

The area across from Swan Pond would also be suitable for puddles and weed plots.  I know this area was used for parking this summer.  But eventually the area could be designed to prevent overflow parking with signs "Wildlife Refuge Area—no kite flying or other recreational use.”

It would be helpful to install signs wherever feed plots of weeds and seedy plants and puddles are positioned with maybe some information about the purpose and the kinds of birds and wildlife the flora attract.  That would further the educational aims of the new nature center.  There could be educational programs focused on wildlife and bird habitat preservation right in the park.  Isn’t that the goal—to educate the public for conservation and preservation?

I’m proud to be a member of this proactive organization.

Thanks again for all your efforts,

Sally Brown
Branford, CT