[CT Birds] Sunday in Voluntown: Hodge Pond and the brook which runs through the valley

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Wed Aug 12 22:15:44 EDT 2015

Sunday afternoon at Hodge Pond (Voluntown) around twenty tree swallows and six northern rough-winged swallows were coursing about the surface of the pond as northern rough-wingeds infrequently would make a splash in their wake.  Four wood ducks were accompanied by an osprey perched on a fallen limb in the pond before it took flight into the woods.Yellow-throated vireos, pine warblers, chickadees , phoebes, wood pewees, titmice, robins and jays were around the pond mostly clustered near some outlets.  There wasn't action in any of the boggy areas nearby the pond.  Onto Myron Kinne Brook west of the pond and I crossed paths twice with ovenbirds, the second occurrence in a bog where the ovenbird flew into some butterfly orchids I probably would not have seen otherwise, or at least would have required searching.  Further downstream no birds but more orchids and butterflies.  Below Hodge Pond Road where the brook runs through a valley ducks were moving overhead in groups of two northward.  Catbirds, sparrows, cardinals, and towhees were present in numbers here.  Ten grackles flew out together from tall cattails.   Birds in the marshes are highly elusive, not that I can blame them, so I'm waiting out the others I've missed.
Brian Williams       Griswold