[CT Birds] osprey face off

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 08:46:12 EDT 2015

​8/16  Orange, Old Tavern Rd baseball fields-osprey nest.
I observe the osprey nest on the light pole at Old Tavern Rd Baseball
fields.
They had 2 young which have fledged.  This morning on a favorite tree for
eating fish, the male osprey was on his branch, with a fish in its talons
and on the next tree on a branch was a juvenile Red Tailed hawk.  They were
staring at each other for about 7 minutes.  The osprey began eating its
fish, but then decided to leave  after which the hawk left as well.
But these two sat on their respective branches, staring for quite a while.
One of the juveniles (a female) showed up as I was leaving, and just
perched on a light pole.
Being that this is a very active recreation area for sports, the ospreys
are doing very well.
Bev Propen, Orange