[CT Birds] Switch Road - ZT Hawk - no

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 16 14:57:29 EDT 2015

Despite a report of a possible sighting to the SE, we did not see the Zone-tailed Hawk during 5 1/2 hours of looking this morning.  A few people were still there when Phil Rush and I left at 1pm.  Sightings of note; RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, AMERICAN KESTREL, and PEREGRINE FALCON.
The nuthatch was interesting.  Barbara Gearhart mentioned that they nest not too far from the location, but it seemed odd to have one in a lone evergreen between large sod fields.  Coupled with a Purple Finch in my Mystic, CT yard this morning, it might be a hint of early movement from these species.
Glenn WilliamsMystic, CT