[CT Birds] Volunteers needed for beach fencing/signage removal!

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Mon Aug 10 17:03:36 EDT 2015

Good afternoon all,

We now have two waterbird string fencing and signage removal dates set
by CT DEEP for a couple of our beaches. The Audubon Alliance for Coastal
Waterbirds - Audubon Connecticut and the Roger Tory Peterson Institute
of Natural History - would appreciate any volunteers who could help us
out at these locations and times:

Friday, August 14th at 10:30AM - Long Beach in Stratford
Thursday, August 20th at 10:00AM - Sandy/Morse Points in West Haven

Bluff Point's fencing removal date will be announced soon, pending Least
Tern chick departure. Assisting not only helps AAfCW but it also greatly
aids those at CT DEEP who have extremely limited time. It also limits
the stress on young, feeding and migrant birds. Please remember that
taking down fencing in August can be physically demanding because of the
potential heat and humidity, and those who join us should remember a few
-wear sunscreen
-drink plenty of water or sports drink
-do not attempt to carry too many stakes, there are enough volunteers
and staff members so that no one should overexert themselves
-anyone who needs to limit physical exertion should stick to winding up
string rolls
-take as many breaks as needed

In general we look for everyone we can to help out even if you are not a
past monitor or volunteer - the more the merrier. It also makes for a
more pleasant morning of bird watching and discussions on the beach.
Please email us at ctwaterbirds at gmail.com if you can join us on one or
both days, and thank you!

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation & Outreach Coordinator