[CT Birds] The pond called Horseshoe

Kevin Doyle kevindoyle01 at charter.net
Fri Aug 14 16:33:51 EDT 2015

Wilton,CT Friday noon through 2:30 pm. I see where the efforts Wilton made to make the pond look more pondy failed ... this place is nasty looking. Did spot a blue heron who for reasons did  very little. They I eyed an osprey flying low and landing on a sycamore  tree so  I mosied over to get a better look. As it turned out it was a juvenile  possibly this year ... as it turned out there were 3 ... since the pond is shallow this might be a good fishing hole. Why the 3 were hanging together I have no idea maybe to watch & learn ... though they just can't  leave each other alone. Plenty of open space but they all wanted this one branch. One would settle then one would muck with it then the other.

Out of the 3 (7) dives with no catches. So the success rate wasn't  that good. Not sure for seasoned adults ... can only go by the pair at Milford who raised 3 chicks never seemed not to score when they wanted to.

It was nice to see ospreys  in a more natural  environment as opposed to sitting on a platform and hunting all a 1st for this osprey buff.

Kevindoyle01 at charter.net

Sent from TypeMail