[CT Birds] Ovenbird rescue II - Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 22 19:23:55 EDT 2015

 One Spring morning a few years ago now I rescued an Ovenbird who had hit a window of our house here in Washington, CT. The bird was stunned and I held it my hands keeping it warm for 10 to 15 minutes a distance from the house. The bird then flew off after recovering from it's shock of hitting the window. Well today early this evening while sitting on the front porch here I heard a crash against a window on the side of the house. Yes, another Ovenbird who had hit a window. I picked up the bird and walked away from the house. After 10 to 15 minutes keeping the bird warm the bird recovered and flew away. When I walked back to the porch I heard the Barred owl  that we have been hearing lately around the woods of the property here so hope the Ovenbird has no troubles with the owl. No doubt this Ovenbird was a migrant.  We have had a lot of bird activity around here since Saturday morning. Had an unknown thrush getting insects on the outer porch here Saturday morning. Despite my putting up new UV decals on the windows of the enclosed part of our front porch we had two more bird fatalities this summer, a young Baltimore oriole and a Wood thrush. Have had an accipiter hawk hunting birds here lately, appears to be male sharp-shinned hawk.
David W BabingtonWashington, CT