[CT Birds] Stratford Point Black, Roseate Terns, Cuckoo

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Tue Aug 18 10:32:32 EDT 2015

With Steve Spector and Bill Batsford.   There were at least 2 Black Terns on the sandbars in the Housatonic River with the big tern flock as seen from Stratford Point.   Also one Roseate Tern took off from the bar and flew past us out to the Sound calling all the while.  A Black-billed Cuckoo also flew past us as we were watching the terns.   No sign of the Godwit, which I was checking for as I arrived around 7:30 AM, but a young Peregrine Falcon had beaten me to the punch and was harassing the shorebirds.   More than 30 Snowy Egrets on the flats, along with a Black-crowned Night-Heron and at least 15 American Oystercatchers.   At least 3 Bank Swallows on the wires with the swallow flock.

Steve and I had several swarthy skippers feeding on red clover near the north beach around the triangle of trails near the beach entrance.

On Saturday the gate will be open again until at least early afternoon, but note there is a foot race going through the Point from about 10:45 to about noon, during which time some trails and portions of the driveway may be closed to foot and vehicular traffic.   The third annual Shore to Pour is sponsored by Two Roads Brewing Company and the proceeds from the race will go towards improving the bird habitat at Stratford Point.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road