[CT Birds] Stratford Point Terns

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Aug 19 08:52:59 EDT 2015

Mike Resch had 4 Black Terns flying from the sandbars out along the jetty as seen from Stratford Point this morning.   We had a 5th (probably) Black Tern sitting on the bar.   At least two Roseate Terns present as well.  Mike picked one out on the bar (good eye!), which picked up and flew out towards the Sound.  I heard another calling too far to the right to be the same bird.

Yesterday, I spooked up a Great Horned Owl from the Coast Guard strip (just on the other side of the fence near the entrance) while I was watering the WildLife Guards garden and I had a Prairie Warbler in the cherry "bushes" along the scrub near the office for much of the day.

A reminder that a foot race will be going through the Point on Saturday from about 10:45 - noon.   The gate will be open starting at about 8 AM until at least early afternoon, but traffic through the driveway will be cut off during the race and some of the trails will also be briefly closed to non-race participants.   I did cut a new trail from the gate over to the reef balls for the race and that should remain passible through the fall and winter for birding purposes.

As always, if someone wants to visit the point for birding or butterflies please get in touch with me and I can let you know if the gate is going to be open or arrange for access for you.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road