[CT Birds] Sheffield Philly Vireo

Brendan Murtha bmskua at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 22 20:36:23 EDT 2015

Today I spent nearly 12 hours on Sheffield Island training, and was able to bird on and off.

The avian highlight of the day was a wonderfully early PHILADELPHIA VIREO I had in a mixed flock of migrants that included a bunch of Redstarts, two BT Blue Warblers, and a Black-and-white Warbler.
Other birds on the island included a flyby AMERICAN KESTREL and impressive numbers of Laughing Gull (~200).

Although not a bird, my personal highlight of the day was a HOARY BAT seen in broad daylight hawking insects in a woodland clearing amongst a flock of swallows.  I got absolutely drop dead looks at this rarely seen mammal, and topped it off with some great photos.  It was really wacky to see this big bat (Hoaries are the biggest bat species in the area) hawking dragonflies alongside Barn and Tree Swallows.

Now that I'll be out here often, I really look forward to seeing what else I can turn up here on this gem.  Sheffield is the island furthest out in the Norwalk Island Chain, and is also the biggest.  About half the island is part of Stewart B. McKinney NWR.

Brendan Murtha

Sent from my iPhone