[CT Birds] Great Egret reaches Hell Hollow Pond (Pachaug State Forest)

Brian Williams brianw15th2v at att.net
Sun Aug 30 09:57:43 EDT 2015

Saturday early evening on Hell Hollow Pond (on the county border in Plainfield) one medium-sized great egret was wading in the pond after I had been searching Mt. Misery Brook for nearly an hour south of the pond (which is Voluntown).  Trying to get closer in the fading daytime light I nearly bumped right into the egret and it scrambled through treetops where I didn't see any others.
The surrounding forest was filled with cagey birds while I flushed out some lake junk.  Before leaving after seven a spotted sandpiper with non-breeding plumage flew to a rock near the shore in front of me and paused a few minutes before flying back to a dried-up area of the pond.  Once again I failed to recognize any other peeps inside the pond which appeared empty of waterfowl except one kingfisher and several black ducks which flew away together.

Brian Williams
Griswold