[CT Birds] Extralimital: Aug BBC pelagic report AND September trip dates

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 12:40:30 EDT 2015

Many CT birders were on board the Helen H out of Cape Cod last weekend
for what certainly was one of our best pelagics yet. See Jeremiah
Trimble's brief report below, plus a reminder that we are doing the
same overnight trip to these same waters again in September!:

"This weekend 58 lucky birders explored the offshore waters of
Massachusetts, south of Nantucket.  It was an absolutely incredible
trip, and that is an understatement.  To the say the trip was a
success would be an understatement!  We found our first ever
White-tailed Tropicbirds (and had two species of tropicbird in one
day!), set trip high counts for White-faced Storm-Petrel, Audubon's
Shearwater, Band-rumped Storm-Petrel and Pomarine Jaeger and had such
an amazing variety of rarities on top of these including Black-capped
Petrel, Bridled Tern and South Polar Skua.  In a later email, I will
provide a narrative of the two day trip but to summarize, here are the
major avian highlights in brief:

2 Black-capped Petrel

202 Audubon's Shearwater

28 White-faced Storm-Petrel

161 Leach's Storm-Petrel

23 Band-rumped Storm-Petrel

4 White-tailed Tropicbird (two adults and 2 immatures)

1 Red-billed Tropicbird (an immature bird)

17 Pomarine Jaeger

1 Long-tailed Jaeger

1 South Polar Skua

1 Bridled Tern

Needless to say, this weekend was one for the record books!

Here are links to a set of images and two general checklists for each
of the two days of the trip which include some images.  Many others, I
am sure, will be posting their images over the coming days.  The trip,
in addition to being filled with many rare birds, also presented some
of the best opportunities for photographing pelagics I have ever
experienced, not only the common species but also many of the
rarities!  I look forward to seeing everyone's images!

I would like to first of all thank Ida Giriunas, as always, for her
efforts in organizing and pushing for these trips to happen.  She has
helped so many birders enjoy the offshore birds of Massachusetts!
Thanks!  Also, thanks to Captain Joe Huckemeyer and the crew of the
Helen H.  They make the trips incredibly enjoyable.  Captain Joe's
piloting skills keep us on many of the rarities; he even kept us on a
Black-capped Petrel for 10 minutes allowing great views for all.
Thanks as well to my fellow trip leaders; Nick Bonomo, Doug Gochfeld,
Julian Hough, and Luke Seitz.  Their skills at identifying and
spotting birds, communicating to participants and getting everyone on
each bird was critical.

Finally, a big thanks to the participants of this trip.  You all made
the trip very enjoyable!

I would like to mention to everyone our next BBC pelagic which will be
taking place September 26-27 and will visit the same offshore waters
which were so productive this last weekend!  You can see from this
weekend's lists, you shouldn't miss the opportunity.  Please join us!
There are still spaces available and we be excited to have you on
board.  For more information please visit our website:

Jeremiah Trimble

Cambridge, MA"

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT