[CT Birds] Frost: The Oven Bird Re: Song

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Sat Aug 29 20:12:29 EDT 2015

Many of you will recall Robert Frost's suggestive poem about the Ovenbird's song, which I give below.  Good evening!

On Aug 29, 2015, at 6:24 PM, Paul Desjardins via CTBirds <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org> wrote:

> This morning at the White Memorial in Litchfield I heard an Ovenbird sing once. Although Bent in his life histories states that there is a revival of song in August and early September, this is the latest I have ever heard one.
> Paul Desjardins
> Windsor Locks

The Oven Bird

There is a singer everyone has heard,
Loud, a mid-summer and a mid-wood bird,
Who makes the solid tree trunks sound again.
He says that leaves are old and that for flowers
Mid-summer is to spring as one to ten.
He says the early petal-fall is past
When pear and cherry bloom went down in showers
On sunny days a moment overcast;
And comes that other fall we name the fall.
He says the highway dust is over all.
The bird would cease and be as other birds
But that he knows in singing not to sing.
The question that he frames in all but words
Is what to make of a diminished thing.