[CT Birds] Juvenile Black Tern, Forster's Terns at Farm River mouth, East Haven

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sun Aug 30 20:54:40 EDT 2015

8/30/15:  We kayaked out to the mouth of the Farm River this afternoon at
high tide.  We were pleased to find a large flock of Common Terns roosting
on the rocks there, along with a number of other birds. The flock was noisy
and active, there were several dozen juveniles still being fed by adult
birds.  We were able to get out of our boats and sit on the large rock to
the west of where the birds were and observe them without disturbing them.
We found a juvenile BLACK TERN roosting on one of the rocks.  As is typical
of this species, they tend to roost on the lower portion of the rocks,
nearer the water. The rocks are darker there (because they get wet
periodically) and so the birds blend in better.  The Black Tern stayed with
the flock for a while, then flew off to the west towards Lighthouse Point,
as the tide fell.  We found four FORSTER'S TERNS among the Common Terns.  We
noted that they seemed to prefer roosting on the small buoys by the rocks
rather than on the rocks themselves.  Other species of interest included
Sanderling, Ruddy Turnstone, American Oystercatcher (an adult pair and
juvenile; this species has had a great year breeding on the coast), Willet,
Semipalmated Sandpiper and Plover, and Laughing Gull.  Full report on ebird.

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,