[CT Birds] Boothe Park Hawk Watch 2015

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at rtpi.org
Thu Sep 3 08:52:46 EDT 2015

We have now started at the Boothe Park Hawk Watch in Stratford for the
2015 season. You can find more information, past counts and soon to be
current data on our HMANA page here:
https://www.hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=703

I am very excited to be back in CT for autumn after missing essentially
two falls of hawk watching. Many of the locals like me have other
responsibilities and cannot regularly be at Boothe, but I will try to be
there whenever I can on days we feel that the skies will be full this
September through November. I hope you will be, too, and encourage
everyone to visit. If you are an experienced hawk watcher and observer
who is interested in joining the official ranks, please email me! We
definitely need more scheduled eyes on our skies. We usually do end up
with unexpectedly good days, random wonderful birds, and good passerine
activity sometimes regardless of wind, but the best days for us are
moderate winds out of the west to north. Too much wind puts them all
just to our south, and too little lets them stay far inland. Those in
between cold fronts and subsequent Great Lakes highs can give us the
jackpot.

Right now, though it seems we will never see a drop of rain or a high
under 80 again, I think the end of next week looks very promising for
the first "good" days for CT. Come see us at Stratford Point for the
birds that stop by for some food and rest and join us at Boothe for
those that are soaring nonstop down the avian highway - this town has it
all going on!

Scott

--
Scott Kruitbosch