[CT Birds] Out of area, but quite possibly of interest to some

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Sep 5 15:23:25 EDT 2015

I know many of you have gone, and/or are planning to go birding  in
Southeastern Arizona. One of the major "hot spots" there is the US Army Fort
Huachuca, and because of the recent security problems at military bases, the
rules for entering the fort have been updated.
Previously you needed only to show your driver's license (and  be a US
citizen) to get in, but now you need to apply for and have a "Fort  Huachuca
Access Badge". Personally, though it is a bit of a nuisance, I can see  good
reason for it.
In order to get one you simply have to enter the fort through  the "East
Gate", which is now the main gate, and not the  one previously  used. When you
pull up to the guard at the gate, tell him you need to get a  security
badge and he will direct you to a parking lot on the right. There is a  building
just past the lot, and you walk there from the lot.
You will need to fill out a form, and if there are others  waiting, sign in
and wait your turn. (You can get the form online from the Fort  Huachuca
website, print it and fill it out in advance if you want to save  time). You
will be interviewed by an MP who will ask for your driver's license  (or
other gov't issued ID with a picture). He will ask you several questions and
take your picture, which will be printed on the ID card. Actually, the process
 is really simple and painless, and will take under 5 minutes unless there
are  several other people waiting.
Once you get your ID you can be on your way and enter the fort
immediately. It is good for 30 days, for a visitor. Note: EVERYONE IN THE  CAR  must
have and show a current ID, not just the driver. I believe other  military
IDs, etc. can be used, however.
For most people this will be a minor inconvenience and worth  the effort.
For those leading groups, however, it could be a more serious  obstacle, both
because everyone in the group will have to get an ID and the 30  days
applies to everyone except civilians that work there. Personally I  certainly
would not skip the fort because of it. Any other questions, just email  me.

Don Morgan, Coventry, Ct.
mntncougar at aol.com