[CT Birds] Robins

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sat Sep 5 17:55:44 EDT 2015

Mockingbirds appear to be showing a decade-long decline in our area, at least with regard to Summer Bird Count results.  This year however they came in at 103% of the 10 year average in terms of raw numbers not corrected by party hours (which were at 100% of the 10 year average anyway).     That being said, the 443 recorded this year is quite a bit less than the peak count of 1,111 in 1992 and there were more than 600 recorded in every count between 1992 and 2002 and we have not had more than 600 since that year and only two years with more than 500 since then (1993 and 2010).

Looking at the Breeding Bird Survey, the population appears to be nearly steady in our area since 1966, but keep in mind this is also including the period when they were rapidly increasing.  My hypothesis is that they had a major influx and have leveled off and started to decline.  Perhaps the general maturation of habitats in the state and intensified agricultural practices since the 70's has put a cap on their northward expansion.

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut